“Hey you kids, get off my lawn” took on a new, terrifying dimension last week when a Michigan man allegedly held a group of terrified kids at gunpoint—all over his Donald Trump yard sign.
Michael Kubek, 56, of the Detroit-area suburb of Allen Park, was arraigned in district court on Tuesday on six charges of felony assault with a dangerous weapon and one felony firearm charge for allegedly pulling a pistol on a group of children he suspected of damaging his lawn sign supporting Donald Trump.
According to the Detroit Free Press, police responding to a 911 call on October 29 found Kubek shouting obscenities at a group of six kids, ages 12 to 14, who were seated on the grass in front of him. Kubek reportedly told the officer he hadn’t actually seen the kids damage the Trump sign but heard them outside his home and saw the sign lying flat on the ground. He also told police he was upset after his house was egged and signs damaged by vandals the previous week.
When the officer asked for the kids’ account of the incident, they said they’d been heading to a nearby park when Kubek ran out of his home and pulled a pistol on them. They also alleged that Kubek yelled at them and forced them to stay there while his mother—who lives nearby—called the police.
Kubek confirmed to police that had pulled a gun on the kids.
“He said it was unloaded and still in the holster when pulled from his waist,” Allen Park Det. Lt. Dave Williams told the Free Press.
According to the News Herald, Kubek told the officer he “wanted to scare the kids,” and in a police statement to the Free Press, he was quoted as telling the officer he “felt threatened…because he was out numbered.” He was subsequently arrested, and his gun was confiscated.
CBS Detroit reported Kubek was released from custody after paying 10% of his $5,000 bail. He is scheduled to appear in court in early December.